Saturday, October 31, 2009

New Moon: Chapter 5: Cheater

Lines I love

My nightmare probably wouldn't even frighten someone else. ... There was nothing, really. Only nothing. Just the endless maze of moss-covered trees, so quiet that the silence was an uncomfortable pressure against my eardrums. It was dark, like dusk on a cloudy day, with only enough light to see that there was nothing to see. I hurried through the gloom without a path, always searching, searching, searching, getting more frantic as the time stretched on, trying to move faster, though the speed made me clumsy… Then there would come the point in my dream—and I could feel it coming now, but could never seem to wake myself up before it hit—when I couldn't remember what it was that I was searching for. When I realized that there was nothing to search for, and nothing to find. That there never had been anything more than just this empty, dreary wood, and there never would be anything more for me… nothing but nothing…

... trying to breathe without lungs.


I contemplated my luck. Only a teenage boy would agree to this: deceiving both our parents while repairing dangerous vehicles using money meant for my college education. He didn't see anything wrong with that picture. Jacob was a gift from the gods. [I figure there's no way they can work this into the movie - but it's my favorite funny line from New Moon so here's hoping!]


Interesting - I never realized that Bella ever rationalized her recklessness. I thought it was solely motivated by enabling herself to hear Edward again but she argues that since Edward's promise of "It'll be as if I never existed" was invalidated by the fact that Bella was changed by him before he ever left, that she shouldn't be held to her promise.

It made me feel silly for ever worrying about keeping my promise. Where was the logic in sticking to an agreement that had already been violated by the other party? Who cared if I was reckless and stupid? There was no reason to avoid recklessness, no reason why I shouldn't get to be stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment