Friday, May 15, 2009

Thoughts on This Week's News

So there has been a lot of mention in the news recently about gay marriage rights. Several states ( I think it's up to 6) have passed into law legislation that protects the rights of homosexuals to marry and receive the rights granted to heterosexual married couples. Of particular notice has been the media's criticism of President Obama's refusal to comment on the passing of all the new legislation. Maybe I don't fully understand the issue, but here's my assessment. The 14th amendment guarantees equal protect under the law and the supreme court has already ruled that sexual orientation is a protected private right and can't be used as a means to discriminate. The fact remains is that either marriage, by definition, is a religious act and therefore government has no right issuing marriage licenses to anyone - gay or straight. In which case, the government should only issue civil unions as contracts between the two people and the government. Or, marriage has its own secular definition and therefore, the government is constitutionally obligated to provide that right to all who seek it. I don't understand how President Obama explaining the issue in this manner in a press conference to the American people could get him into any serious trouble.

In other, random, news - the big Twilight news this week was that a woman found a copy of the New Moon script and the new Rob Pattinson movie Remember Me (or Rememberance, I can never remember) in a dumpster outside of an LA hotel. Rather than selling them to the tabloids or leaking them on the internet, she approached Summit Productions and traded them for tickets to the premieres. My thoughts on this? First, wtf was a salon owner from Missouri (or wherever) doing going through a LA hotel dumpster to find the scripts? Honestly? Secondly, what kind of trouble did Anna Kendrick (Jessica Stanley) get into with Summit for leaving her copy of the scripts behind? I imagine it was a lot. Finally, I hope the weirdo was smart enough to get tickets to the premieres of all of the Twilight Saga movies.

So, today I stayed in bed until 11 am, I had time to hit the gym and I went out to sun tan on the slope which was gorgeous. Don't hate me people who have jobs! As soon as I graduate, I'll be going home to a regiment of work and studying.

Thing of the Day: In anticipation of June 26th (which I still think is the No Doubt featuring Paramore concert at PNC Bank Arts) here's my song of the day. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That's not a bad trade off is she got tickets to ALL the premiers, like 2 tickets for each so she can bring a date. And I bet she was dumpster diving for like thrown out hotel stuff? I dunno....I'm trying to think of a way to not make it sound so bad.

    It would be extra weird if she KNEW they stayed there and was looking for twilight stuff.

    Totally agree with you on the marriages rights...If gay people can't marry I shouldn't be able to also (being non religious) but since I can, they should be able to also.

    Reading twilight....right now haha.

    ReplyDelete